10 reasons why we need your vote for a fair, workable Copyright for the future of Europe's press
1. Two years-worth of democratic debate and scrutiny have resulted in a fair compromise for both content creators on the one hand, and platforms on the other;
2. Important exceptions have been written into the text to ensure that:
the link is safe and readers can continue to share links as they did before
Wikipedia is out of scope
Memes and Gifs can be used
there will be no censorship of the internet
3. Very short extracts can be displayed, including commercially;
4. News publishers, who carry the commercial risk and legal liability, will be able to monetise better their own content and therefore be incentivised to invest further in professional journalism;
5. Publishers of all sizes from the smallest to the largest will benefit from the Publisher’s Right;
6. Journalists will benefit directly from the Publisher’s Right;
7. Publishers will have the right to set terms and conditions for others to re-use their content commercially, as is only fair and appropriate;
8. This text provides legal certainty for all users: consumers, platforms and creators, including publishers;
9. A new complaints mechanism will deal with the unlawful blocking of uploaded content
10. The stakes are extremely high: your vote is essential for the future of the entire content-creating sector and, most crucially, for the future of a healthy, democracy-enhancing, diverse, professional and independent press.
There is no more time for amendments: if you want to support creators and publishers in Europe you have to act now!
Please click here for further information
We hope that this information and insight will make a valuable contribution to the political debate on our sector, and that, If you are committed to a democratic Europe with a strong media landscape, you will feel inspired to get involved with our initiative, www.empower-democracy.eu.